Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Rethinking the Blog

Well it's been quite some time since my last post. I've wanted this blog to be a lot of things: an outlet for my public transit and planning ideas, a source of information and commentary on local development, and a celebration of my adopted home, South Brooklyn. So far I fear these various goals have proven to be too many cooks for this one blog.

It is with that in mind that I am attempting to roll out a more focused version of The Culver Local. With a little luck (and a bit more persistence), I will give the blog more focus, with dedicated subject areas that will hopefully allow me to pursue all of my interests without losing focus. While there will always be posts that demand to be published right now, I want to add these genre pieces to give the blog some structure. They'll certainly be modified as I start fleshing them out, but for now I will be adding the following:

Morning Links. Like so many other blogs, this section (published weekly or more frequently, depending on the circumstances) will provide links to some of my favorite pieces on transportation, sustainability and local issues from around the web.

Transit Tuesday. This weekly piece will focus on a pressing streets/transit issue, with particular emphasis on issues in Brooklyn. I would, however, like to leave open the possibility of transit issues from outside of the New York region. This space is intended for the most transit nerd/policy wonk-y pieces I'd like to write.

Local Focus. Part opinion and part analysis, this weekly column will focus exclusively on South Brooklyn livability issues and will cover everything from local development and housing issues to the area's growing restaurant and bar scene. 

A Day In... This occasional piece (every 3 to 4 weeks) will profile a Brooklyn neighborhood or portion thereof. Each article will contain a bit of neighborhood history as well as a profile of the best local spots, shops, restaurants and bars from my daylong exploration. To get this section moving, I will begin with a profile of one of my favorite places in all of New York, Red Hook.

With any luck this structure will help me post more often and, more importantly, make this a better blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment